Psoriasis is a very common skin condition that many are aware of, but do you know what it actually means? Psoriasis actually changes the lifecycle of the skin cells causing a rapid build up of cells on the skin’s surface. These extra layers form thick “scales” which are very dry, itchy and sometimes even painful. Although this condition is typically considered to be a long-term and chronic it does go through cycles of flaring and remission.
The symptoms are not consistent for every individual but may include some if not all of the following:
- Dry, cracked skin
- Itching/ burning
- Red patches
- Small scaling spots
- Silvery scales
- Swollen, stiff joints
Risk Factors & Triggers
Although anyone can develop Psoriasis, it tends to flare up as a result of specific risk factors and triggers. These may include but are not limited to:
- Bacteria and viral infections
- Cold weather
- Family history
- High alcohol consumption
- Medications (ie. lithium, beta blockers, iodides)
- Severe sunburn
- Skin injury
Although there is not a cure for Psoriasis, many treatment options do provide comfort and long-term relief. The primary role of treatment is to reduce the rate at which the cells are growing. Topical, oral and light are the most common forms of therapy but provided below you will find some alternative medicine forms of treatment.
- Aloe Vera- Aloe extract cream may help to reduce inflammation, itchiness and redness.
- Fish Oil- The omega-3 fatty acid properties of fish oil supplements may provide a reduction in inflammation. Results due tend to be inconsistent, however 3 grams or less per day is determined to be safe dosage.
- Oregon Grape aka Barberry- Topical applications of Barberry may also ease symptoms.
- Vitamin D– Vitamin D is known to change the way cells grow. Since Psoriasis is an abnormality in the immune system, Vitamin D helps strengthen the immune system and is known to change the way cells grow in the body.
How can Colonics help?
A series of colonics would be beneficial as the colonics will help eliminate the toxins and waste from the colon. A lot of people don’t realize that our colons play a huge part in our overall health. The more toxins and waste that is built up inside the colon can cause problems within other areas of the body. Good colon health is essential for healthy body, mind and skin. As the colon will be eliminating toxins, the body will be able to absorb vitamins and minerals better from foods and supplements, which will help strengthen the immune system and help with cell growth.
Posted by Meaghan LaFranca, M.Sc, Nutritionist, Colon Therapist