What Is Food Combining?
Food combining is a centuries-old way of eating for optimal digestion and assimilation of nutrients. Food combining centers around the idea that meals should be kept simple in order to be digested properly by enzymatic action – the natural way our body works to break down food and absorb nutrients. As different foods require their own unique enzymes, too many different foods in one meal confuse the body and it is not able to produce all of the necessary enzymes simultaneously. This leads to a whole host of digestive issues, starting with belching, heartburn, intestinal gas, abdominal pain and swelling.
Following Food Combining can transform your digestion.
Some Of The Basic Food Combing Rules
- Do not eat proteins and starches together. Your body requires an acid base to digest proteins and an alkaline base to digest starches. Proteins and starches combine well with green, leafy vegetables and non-starchy vegetables, but they do not combine well with each other.
- Eat Melons Alone – Do not mix with other fruits. Have you ever had the misfortune of consuming a melon after a BBQ ? Most likely you experienced gas, a slight blood sugar drop, and/or nausea. That is because not only are melons a type of fruit (and should be eaten alone), but they digest completely different than other sweet treats. For optimal digestion, melons should be consumed alone and on an empty stomach.
- Generally fruits should be eaten alone or with other fruits. (Except Melons). Fruits digest so quickly that by the time they reach your stomach, they are already partially digested. If they are combined with other foods, they will rot and ferment. Do not eat fruits after dinner.
- Wait 3 hours after eating a grain-based meal before you have a protein meal.
- After a protein meal, give yourself 4 hours to fully digest.
- Try not to drink cold water during meals. A cup of warm tea, however, will aid digestion. Avoid ice when you drink water. Stick to room temp water that doesn’t shock your body and do not drink for at least 15 minutes before you eat or 1 hour after a meal.
At Angel Hydrotherapy, our mission is to help you improve your overall health and quality of life. Call us today! Our services include Colon Hydrotherapy, PEMF Therapy, Infrared Sauna and Holistic Nutrition Consultation.
Contact us Today to Learn More